The weather has shifted the past couple days and the temperature has finally made me bust out my winter gear. In the spirit, I have happily set up the holiday decor around my house (even though my cat has different feelings about it) and I have begun spending my nights close to the fire with one…or maybe two holiday cookies. Although this time of year makes me excited for the winter activities- it also has me going through my winter checklist to make sure my home is safe for this upcoming winter!
Take a look below at these helpful tips to get your home winter ready too.
- Winterize your home
- Install weather stripping, insulation, and storm windows
- Insulate water lines that run along exterior walls
- Clean out gutters and repair roof leaks
- Check your heating systems
- Have your heating system professionally serviced to make sure it is clean, working properly, and ventilated to the outside
- Inspect and clean fireplaces and chimneys
- Install a smoke detector and make sure batteries are replaced twice a year
- Have a safe alternate heating source and alternated fuels available
- prevent carbon monoxide emergencies
- Install a CO detector to alert you of the presence of the deadly, odorless, colorless gas. Check batteries when you change your clocks in the fall and spring
- Learn symptoms of CO poisoning: headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion
This checklist was brought to you by Centers for Disease Control. For more helpful safety tips this winter, please visit www.cdc.gov.